We believe that by democratizing access to open source software basic building blocks for 3D perception problems, we can advance the state of the art and help individuals and companies to build solutions faster and better.
The goals and objectives of Open Perception are:
- Develop state-of-the-art, well-documented and tested 3D perception software.
- Educate users and disseminate information relevant for simplifying the usage and development of complex algorithms and tools.
- Attract commercial partners and investors to support our community and the development of open, standardized solutions for 3D point cloud processing.
PCL’s rapidly growing community is a true statement of our initiative’s success. In less than one and a half years from its launch, PCL gathered a community with over 450 developers and contributors coming from more than 50 different companies and research institutes from around the globe, and many thousands of users. Together we have organized many different tutorials and scientific workshops at all major computer vision, mapping, and robotics conferences in the field, and have assembled a large list of code examples and tutorials for our users. PCL is being supported by a consortium of more than 15 commercial companies and government agencies.
Our strategic plan for realising the aforementioned goals includes:
- Periodically releasing a stable, reviewed, and performant set of open source C++ libraries as part of the PCL project, with solid documentation and code and application tutorials.
- Promoting sensor data processing through invited talks, scientific papers, and tutorials at prestigious scientific conferences. See examples of some of the past events we have organized on our Media page.
- Providing software consultancy and contract services in various areas of sensor data processing for a large suite of companies, including technology transfer services.
- Performing and sponsoring research and development projects via code sprints in collaboration with commercial partners, thus fostering the next generation of 3D perception technologists. These code sprints result in higher quality code, documentation, tutorials and examples, and unit tests for our software, creating a fantastic recruitment pool for organizations looking for skilled researchers and developers.
Who are we
We are an internationally renowned group of expert scientists and engineers, working together to solve complicated 3D perception problems. Our team has extensive experience in 3D point cloud processing, computer vision, 3D visualization, robotics, machine learning, and large data systems. To find out more about the people involved in the organization and our open source projects, please visit the People involved page, and the About PCL page.
How do we get there
Open Perception is set up as a 501(c)(3) California non-profit public benefit corporation. We receive donations and sponsorship from anyone, and concentrate on paying developers in the community, giving students travel grants and stipends, organizing events, and supporting our open source projects, such as PCL. The more support we receive, the more we can do and give back to the entire world. In addition, we also work with commercial partners on software consulting and contracting services for complex 3D point cloud perception problems.